- Improved safety performance with a 10 percent reduction in workforce total recordable incident rate
$22 millionin social programs, with the majority in education
- Reduced equity greenhouse gas emissions by more than 5 million tonnes ( 2008-2015)
- Set new 2020 targets to reduce flaring intensity by 50 percent and greenhouse gas intensity by 25 percent from 2014 baseline
This Smart News Release features an interactive multimedia capsule. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160714005259/en/
COVER: Onshore operations are shown in the cover photo of the 2015 Hess Corporate Sustainability Report. http://www.hess.com/docs/default-source/sustainability/hess-2015-csr.pdf?sfvrsn=2
“Our mission is to be a trusted energy partner. Sustainability practices
are a fundamental part of our business strategy and operations,” said
Hess Corporation’s 19th annual sustainability report has achieved the G4 Core level for sustainability reporting from the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), an independent organization that provides the world’s most widely used sustainability reporting and disclosure standards. The report has been third-party assured by ERM Certification and Verification Services.
Highlights from this year’s report include:
- Driving strong safety performance: With an ultimate goal of zero incidents, the company achieved a 10 percent improvement in its combined employee and contractor Total Recordable Incident Rate and a 33 percent improvement in its Lost Time Incident Rate in 2015 compared with the previous year’s performance. Through a campaign focused on reducing dropped objects at our work locations, we achieved a 43 percent decrease in safety incidents with high potential severity.
Decreasing environmental impact: Between 2008 and 2015,
the company reduced equity greenhouse gas emissions from its oil and
gas operations by more than 5 million tonnes. Hess has set new 2020
targets to reduce flaring intensity by 50 percent and greenhouse gas
intensity by 25 percent from its current portfolio of assets compared
to a 2014 baseline. In 2015, Hess was recognized by CDP, an
environmental not-for-profit organization, as a leader among
S&P500 companies for climate change disclosures, and was ranked No. 1 among U.S. energy producers in the Newsweek Green Rankings of the 500 largest publicly traded companies in U.S.
Making a difference in local communities and managing social
risk: Hess’ social investment program in 2015 totaled nearly
$22 million, with more than $18 milliondirected towards education projects. To operate effectively in host communities, the company continued the rollout of risk-based stakeholder engagement and grievance mechanism processes that focus on proactive relationship building and meaningful engagement. Hess was recognized as the highest ranking energy company on Corporate Responsibility magazine’s prestigious list of 100 Best Corporate Citizens for the seventh consecutive year.
For Hess Corporation
Jay Wilson, 212-536-8940
Lorrie Hecker, 212-536-8250